Mega Mix

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #326
pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
What percentage of collectors do you think actually know this is even happening?
Doesn't matter. That number is growing and, aided by the results of the FBI investigation, may one day reach critical mass. TPGs and the auction houses that coddle them need a reality check.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #327
pspa123

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Doesn't matter. That number is growing and, aided by the results of the FBI investigation, may one day reach critical mass. TPGs and the auction houses that coddle them need a reality check.
My belief at this juncture is that a high percentage know and a low percentage care.
"We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity." Opening narration, The Outer Limits.

Last edited by pspa123; 07-26-2021 at 02:59 PM.
pspa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #328
CaptSpaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspa123 View Post
My belief at this juncture s that a high percentage know and a low percentage care.
That is a critical mass of sorts, no?
CaptSpaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #329
pspa123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSpaulding View Post
That is a critical mass of sorts, no?
Not the one Pip had in mind, but I suppose.
"We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity." Opening narration, The Outer Limits.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #330
pip

Quote:
My belief at this juncture is that a high percentage know and a low percentage care.
Hard core collectors maybe, but not your average or "typical" collector. Same goes for new collectors who will enter the market. TPGs are only sustained through long-term growth. They're all in a favorable economic climate now but that could change. Perception will play a big part in that. Corrupt third party grading won't last forever. I think there's a limit with what collectors will put up with. To wit, critical mass.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:20 PM   #331
Scottish Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardFarmer View Post
With trimgate now turning 2 years old and everything that's happened in the past year, are some of you still not able to concede that the market simply doesn't care about trimming?
Quote:
I think we were to have any kind of repercussions from the trimming scandal, they would have been noticed by now. Isn't the lawyer for PWCC off the job and PWCC and PSA have both settled or will be settling? Business as usual now. All of the PSA acquisitions also means that their isn't much worry on the legal front there.

All of this high grade stuff in PSA slabs is more stocks than cards anyways. The label is what matters. A trimmed card with a higher grade just means a better stock, er card. As long as the "value" of these cards keep going up than investors will still buy/sell the market.
Scottish Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #332
Bruins1993

Same Topps card, same eye appeal, SMR $5k:
Ask the collector if they will pay $5k for a GAI 9
Ask the collector if they will pay $5k for a PSA 9

Or how about same '52 Topps card, same eye appeal, SMR $1M:
Ask the collector if they will pay $1M for a GAI 10
Ask the collector if they will pay $1M for a PSA 10

What is the key difference if both cards, both examples, are trimmed and how long will that advantage last for PSA? It's going to catchup badly in future IMO.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #333
pspa123

Quote:
Hard core collectors maybe, but not your average or "typical" collector. Same goes for new collectors who will enter the market. TPGs are only sustained through long-term growth. They're all in a favorable economic climate now but that could change. Perception will play a big part in that. Corrupt third party grading won't last forever. I think there's a limit with what collectors will put up with. To wit, critical mass.
I admire your relentless optimism, but at this point I don't share it.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #334
pip

Quote:
I admire your relentless optimism, but at this point I don't share it.
Well, I don't believe in karma but I do find truth in Proverbs 10:2-3

Quote:
Treasures of wickedness shall profit nothing: but justice shall deliver from death. The Lord will not afflict the soul of the just with famine, and he will disappoint the deceitful practices of the wicked.
And Ezekiel 28:18

Quote:
By your many sins and dishonest trade you have desecrated your sanctuaries. So I made a fire come out from you, and it consumed you, and I reduced you to ashes on the ground in the sight of all who were watching.
Don't lose hope. Just be patient. Justice will be served.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #335
pspa123

I guess I am Sportin' Life to your scripture:

The things that you're liable
to read in the Bible
Ain't necessarily so.

I do hope you are right. These bastards certainly deserve justice and lots of it.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #336
pip

Quote:
I guess I am Sportin' Life to your scripture:

The things that you're liable
to read in the Bible
Ain't necessarily so.

I do hope you are right. These bastards certainly deserve justice and lots of it.
Lol. Ira Gershwin. I used to play in a jazz band. I know that one well.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #337
Gustomania

So, honestly how are people feeling about your PSA slabs that were not sold via auction from PWCC, Prob and a few other?
Old 07-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #338
pspa123

Quote:
Lol. Ira Gershwin. I used to play in a jazz band. I know that one well.
A masterpiece about skepticism, and not just religious skepticism but anything (like people's word) we take on faith.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:48 PM   #339
pip

Quote:
A masterpiece about skepticism, and not just religious skepticism but anything (like people's word) we take on faith.
Gershwin was always too commercial for me. I was much more of a fan of Ellington and Coltrane.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #340
pspa123

I collect music cards. There are a number of contemporaneous Ellington issues, but interestingly none of Gershwin or Coltrane. No shortage of Armstrong.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #341
ken161

sSs Sportscards is going to the Natty!!! I need to call my credit card company and get my max limit increased. Lots of good deals to be had, no doubt. Bravo to the hobby leadership for reserving a table for these hobby stalwarts and long-time dealers.

I know there have been allegations of card doctoring by a number of armchair detectives, but I'll believe PSA any day over my lying eyes. If a widespread problem existed, PSA's new ownership would have come clean. Also, congrats to Beckett Magazine for their Pulitzer-Prize quality journalism in ignoring this non-story.

https://www.nsccshow.com/assets/admi...%205-21-21.pdf
ken161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #342
pspa123

How many on that list have been outed here?
Interesting one of the very first name i see is Johnny Adams.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #343
CaptSpaulding

Quote:
How many on that list have been outed here?
Interesting one of the very first name i see is Johnny Adams.
I see very few names who have been outed here but I would bet every penny I have that all will be in attendance along with the ones whose names have not yet appeared here. They will be moving product but under cover since they have become household names.

To your other point, and we have discussed it often, I too feel the hobby just keeps moving on and never looks back on this scandal. There is very little likelihood anything changes or that anyone really sees prison time for their involvement.
CaptSpaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #344
pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSpaulding View Post
I see very few names who have been outed here but I would bet every penny I have that all will be in attendance along with the ones whose names have not yet appeared here. They will be moving product but under cover since they have become household names.

To your other point, and we have discussed it often, I too feel the hobby just keeps moving on and never looks back on this scandal. There is very little likelihood anything changes or that anyone really sees prison time for their involvement.
For me, hope springs eternal with each new National convention. Let's hope the FBI pays a(nother) visit to those who most need one.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:32 PM   #345
corndog
BODA

Location: From a table in McDonalds, with lovely fake flowers on it.

This pop 1 of 2 PSA 9 used to be a PSA 6 and a PSA 6.5.

PSA Cert #41821076

1952 Bowman Large Brad Ecklund #35

Value gain of $1,107.23

PSA Set Registry: private

This card was first purchased by VCP masked buyer ID t***r (amintcollector) from Ebay seller wcsports1 as a PSA 6 for $32.77 on July 09, 2017.

Same card was cracked from it's case, regraded and sold by amintcollector as a PSA 6.5 for $155.00 on March 23, 2018.
The buyer was masked ID i***i - which is triplesssinc.

Same card was cracked from it's case, regraded and consigned to and sold by Heritage Auction as a PSA 9 for $1,140.00 on November 16, 2018.

Yellow circles are print, fiber, stain, or chipping identifiers.
Card does not appear to be trimmed and am unable to determine what was done by the Skerbe brothers, MD to get it to a 9.

No back image provided with this sale:

Old 07-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #346
pip

The Skerbe brothers do some of the most advanced card doctoring in the hobby. I would suspect that fillers were added to improve the corners. This card would likely light up significantly under a blacklight. The card may have also been artificially lightened. There is definitely some border "foxing" on the before picture, even adjusting for the difference in brightness/contrast.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:14 AM   #347
corndog
BODA

Location: From a table in McDonalds, with lovely fake flowers on it.

PSA Cert #25366499

1951 Bowman Lou Creekmur #62

Value gain of $227.68

PSA Set Registry: Topknot44 '51 Bowman Football

This card was purchased by VCP masked buyer ID i***i (triplesssinc) from Ebay seller cooperstownsportscards as a PSA 7 for $90.00 on December 11, 2015.

Same card was sold by triplesssinc (Skerbe brothers) as a PSA 8 for $317.68 on May 03, 2016.

Yellow circles are print, fiber, stain, or chipping identifiers.
Red box identifies trimmed right edge.
No back image provided with either sale.

Last edited by corndog; 08-03-2021 at 01:16 AM.
corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #348
DragonWagon

Now up to 3,900 slab serial # cards that have been altered, faked, or mislabeled. https://www.tiffanycards.com/buyer-beware
DragonWagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:32 PM   #349
BaseballKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonWagon View Post
Now up to 3,900 slab serial # cards that have been altered, faked, or mislabeled. https://www.tiffanycards.com/buyer-beware
If it's true that graders have 45 seconds to evaluate a card how much of those 45 seconds is spent actually authenticating the card?

Counterfeits are my main issue. It seems like many people do not care if their card has possibly been doctored but I'd bet that those same people would care if their card was a straight up fake.
BaseballKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:26 PM   #350
MoreToppsPlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonWagon View Post
If BODA had the same number of staff as the number of graders at PSA, it would seem safe to say that number would be at least 100x greater than that 4K number.