AD Golden Auction netflix add

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #401
CaptSpaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreToppsPlease View Post
Interesting, but given the number of times some of the altered cards have been resold, one can see that collectors weren’t necessarily the target buyers of card doctors a lot of the time.
So collectors never sell cards? THAT is very interesting. Call it collateral damage then.

By now any collectors who do not know what they are looking at and who care about avoiding altered cards, I suggest they get educated. There should be much fewer victims today than say 3 years ago.
CaptSpaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #402
MoreToppsPlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSpaulding View Post
So collectors never sell cards? THAT is very interesting. Call it collateral damage then.

By now any collectors who do not know what they are looking at and who care about avoiding altered cards, I suggest they get educated. There should be much fewer victims today than say 3 years ago.
In context the target was people whose sole intent was to increase the value of these high-grade altered cards - possible associates of the card doctors - not collectors.

But I’m thinking you’d agree the pandemic and value bubble brought many unassuming collectors on board these last years who don’t know about graded altered cards.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:52 PM   #403
CaptSpaulding

Quote:
In context the target was people whose sole intent was to increase the value of these high-grade altered cards - possible associates of the card doctors - not collectors.

But I’m thinking you’d agree the pandemic and value bubble brought many unassuming collectors on board these last years who don’t know about graded altered cards.
You are going way the #@#@#@#@ off topic from my post earlier today but nobody forced them to jump in and pay up. Just because one has money does not mean they should just spend it. Not gonna get me to say they are victims but don't you worry about them. Whatever chopped up card they bought is worth more today.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:44 AM   #404
corndog
BODA

Location: From a table in McDonalds, with lovely fake flowers on it.

PSA Cert #28536463

1950 Bowman Yogi Berra #46

Value gain of $1,228.98

PSA Set Registry: jbcofc

This card was purchased by VCP masked buyer ID i***i (triplesssinc) from Ebay seller cdbsportscards1 as a PSA 6 for $475.00 on February 22, 2017.

Same card was sold by Mile High Card Company (consigned by Skerbe brothers) as a PSA 8 for $1,703.98 on March 22, 2018.

Yellow circles are print, fiber, stain, or chipping identifiers.
Red box identifies trimmed top edge (as viewed).

Old 04-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #405
fabiani12333

Quote:
You are going way the #@#@#@#@ off topic from my post earlier today but nobody forced them to jump in and pay up. Just because one has money does not mean they should just spend it. Not gonna get me to say they are victims but don't you worry about them. Whatever chopped up card they bought is worth more today.
This is a very important point. Even though trimmed/altered cards are bought by unsuspecting collectors/investors, they ultimately aren't financially harmed if they can easily sell them for a profit.

Graded cards are often a scam, but it's a victimless scam if the cards retain market value.

Then again, the more scammers introduce altered cards into the market, the more it theoretically dilutes the value of unaltered high grade cards.
fabiani12333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:52 AM   #406
fabiani12333

The concept of altered graded cards is so fascinating. Scammers are literally creating value out of nothing. They can take a raw card with a noticeable flaw, alter it a little, and create substantial value out of thin air.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:32 AM   #407
mc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiani12333 View Post
The concept of altered graded cards is so fascinating. Scammers are literally creating value out of nothing.
Sounds a lot like grading.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:43 AM   #408
CaptSpaulding

Quote:
This is a very important point. Even though trimmed/altered cards are bought by unsuspecting collectors/investors, they ultimately aren't financially harmed if they can easily sell them for a profit.

Graded cards are often a scam, but it's a victimless scam if the cards retain market value.

Then again, the more scammers introduce altered cards into the market, the more it theoretically dilutes the value of unaltered high grade cards.
Yeah there are no victims here in a rising market. Not sure if that makes it impossible to prosecute but I bet it is more of a challenge to be able to bring a case against anyone.

The only way there would be an adverse impact of these altered cards is if the company who graded them went out of business and those in possession of these cards tried to cross them over and they were rejected for alterations. Just look at what GAI slabs sell for now.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #409
MoreToppsPlease

Quote:
Yeah there are no victims here in a rising market. Not sure if that makes it impossible to prosecute but I bet it is more of a challenge to be able to bring a case against anyone.

The only way there would be an adverse impact of these altered cards is if the company who graded them went out of business and those in possession of these cards tried to cross them over and they were rejected for alterations. Just look at what GAI slabs sell for now.
Completely couching this in pecuniary terms is not only odd in that it reflects an overall poor understanding of the situation, but it’s also wrong. It’s the POV one of the scammers would take.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:16 PM   #410
CaptSpaulding

Quote:
Completely couching this in pecuniary terms is not only odd in that it reflects an overall poor understanding of the situation, but it’s also wrong. It’s the POV one of the scammers would take.
And nobody other than you cares what you think. Countless people on here who do not support fraud in the hobby have written the same thing, asshat. Stop following me around. It is a bit creepy.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:28 PM   #411
DragonWagon

Updated https://www.tiffanycards.com/altered-card-database
DragonWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:49 PM   #412
Skipscards

Send a message via AIM to Skipscards Send a message via Yahoo to Skipscards

Quote:
The concept of altered graded cards is so fascinating. Scammers are literally creating value out of nothing. They can take a raw card with a noticeable flaw, alter it a little, and create substantial value out of thin air.
Like an NFT.
Skipscards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:47 AM   #413
fabiani12333

Quote:
As a collector, I value the authenticity of the cards I purchase more than anything else. It's not necessarily at the forefront of my mind every time I buy a card because authenticity is usually assumed. This is obviously an unwise approach.

The reality is there is a lot of fraud in the industry. Wherever there is money to be made, there are inevitably going to be bad actors looking to make a quick buck through manipulation and deceit.

That is why it's important for buyers to be informed before making a purchase. Every buyer should realize that high-value vintage graded cards are often altered.

Buyers should know that just because a card is graded, it doesn't mean it's accurate. That it is common for these cards to be altered.

The people who alter these cards should be outed because they'll keep doing if they aren't. The TPG's should be viewed with an eye of suspicion and scepticism because they have been shown to be significantly flawed in their work.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:19 PM   #414
CaptSpaulding

Quote:
As a collector, I value the authenticity of the cards I purchase more than anything else. It's not necessarily at the forefront of my mind every time I buy a card because authenticity is usually assumed. This is obviously an unwise approach.

The reality is there is a lot of fraud in the industry. Wherever there is money to be made, there are inevitably going to be bad actors looking to make a quick buck through manipulation and deceit.

That is why it's important for buyers to be informed before making a purchase. Every buyer should realize that high-value vintage graded cards are often altered.

Buyers should know that just because a card is graded, it doesn't mean it's accurate. That it is common for these cards to be altered.

The people who alter these cards should be outed because they'll keep doing if they aren't. The TPG's should be viewed with an eye of suspicion and scepticism because they have been shown to be significantly flawed in their work.
Sadly this is what is has come down to. For those who care if they are buying altered cards I feel they are now better equipped to identify suspicious cards or at the least identify if the origin of the card is from a known card doctor.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:10 AM   #415
ken161

sSs Sportscards is still around, but sadly, it looks like business has been scaled way back in recent years.

Only 18 sales in recent months:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/triplesssin...p2046732.m1684

Only 95 cards currently for sale:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/triplesssin...p2047675.l2562

Their website does not look like it's bustling with activity either:
https://www.abouttriplessssportscards.com/

I did not see them at the National at Atlantic City either, although they were listed in the program. Perhaps I missed them? But in May 2007, they were the darlings of PSA:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1311826

Never get cheated.
ken161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #416
Slvnumber2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken161 View Post
sSs Sportscards is still around, but sadly, it looks like business has been scaled way back in recent years.

Only 18 sales in recent months:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/triplesssin...p2046732.m1684

Only 95 cards currently for sale:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/triplesssin...p2047675.l2562

Their website does not look like it's bustling with activity either:
https://www.abouttriplessssportscards.com/

I did not see them at the National at Atlantic City either, although they were listed in the program. Perhaps I missed them? But in May 2007, they were the darlings of PSA:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1311826

Never get cheated.
They were at the National and had some decent stuff in their booth - high end 50’s PSA mainly. Did not recognize their booth at first and they did not promote their name, but eventually I did figure out who it was.
Slvnumber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #417
PuddleMonkey

I wonder if they just operate under another ebay name now and keep the old one semi-active to keep people from getting suspicious.
PuddleMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:13 PM   #418
MoreToppsPlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
I wonder if they just operate under another ebay name now and keep the old one semi-active to keep people from getting suspicious.
Apparently CaptSpalding purchasing from the old account is enough to keep it going.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:13 PM   #419
pspa123

My understanding is a high percentage of their business was always consigning to auction houses. Perhaps they are doing even more of that now. It's always amazed me that people don't seem to give a thought to where the major auction houses are getting their inventory. Anyone who thinks it's mostly from collectors is a bit naive, IMO.
"We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity." Opening narration, The Outer Limits.
pspa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:19 PM   #420
auburn35

Yeah, I'm guessing most of their cards are moving via auction consignment.
Also, being well documented in the various PWCC threads, I'm sure the AH's would be happy to submit these cards under their preferred accounts, should the TPG's have banned/restricted any of these fraudsters from submitting.
Old 08-21-2022, 04:27 PM   #421
pspa123

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn35 View Post
Yeah, I'm guessing most of their cards are moving via auction consignment.
Also, being well documented in the various PWCC threads, I'm sure the AH's would be happy to submit these cards under their preferred accounts, should the TPG's have banned/restricted any of these fraudsters from submitting.
My best sense of things is despite all we've seen, most people continue just to accept TPG flips on faith.
"We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity." Opening narration, The Outer Limits.
pspa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:06 AM   #422
corndog
BODA

PSA Cert #42022566

1964 Topps Bobby Bell #90
POP 1 of 3

Value gain of $6,190.40

PSA Set Registry: private

This card was purchased by VCP masked buyer ID i***i (triplesssinc) from Ebay seller gel23 as a PSA 8 for $70.00 on January 30, 2018.

Same card was sold by Memory Lane (consigned by Skerbe brothers) as a PSA 10 for $6,260.40 on August 10, 2019.

Red box identifies trimmed (evened up border) bottom edge.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:27 AM   #423
corndog
BODA

Grade bump

With this card I am unable to conclude that any alteration was made.
100% same card in both images due to chipping matching on multiple edges.
Triplesssinc has garnered two of the three PSA 9's.
In the first post of this thread is another 9 that is trimmed.

PSA Cert #42022569

1967 Philadelphia Johnny Unitas #23
POP 1 of 3 with two of the three being triplesssinc cards.
First card is in the first post of this thread and is trimmed.

Value gain of $4,397.00

PSA Set Registry: none found

This card was purchased by VCP masked buyer ID y***o (crodneynow) from Ebay seller pristine_paper as a PSA 8 for $787.00 on January 14, 2018.

Same card was sold by Memory Lane (consigned by Skerbe brothers) as a PSA 9 for $5,184.00 on August 10, 2019.

No back image provided with the first sale.
Chipping matches on multiple edges.
Unable to conclude that any alteration was made.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:14 AM   #424
PDCCollectibles

Nice work that is done on catching these....unfortunately falls on deaf ears. Doesn't seem like anything is being done at all....
PDCCollectibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:50 AM   #425
DragonWagon

Added to the Altered Card Database https://www.tiffanycards.com/altered-card-database
DragonWagon is offline   Reply With Quote