This just in

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-13-2024, 04:08 PM   #51
kyle1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjas311 View Post
Tell that to Marvel Masterpieces fans, ha.
2022 is my favorite non sports product of all time

Absolutely a shame it’s 850 a box.

So many did not get to enjoy it
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:10 PM   #52
kyle1707

Spidey hits and marvel platinum

https://youtu.be/EtFq1BI1yyo?si=pQoMELHQByANm9z3

The girl in this is like that beauty pageant contestant who gives the worst answers lol

Anyway. They did ask about 4 cards to 99 or less

Last edited by kyle1707; 03-13-2024 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:17 PM   #53
exospheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post

The girl in this is like that beauty pageant contestant who gives the worst answers lol

4 #'d cards 799 or less. 1 auto or number /50 or less from what Ive seen a box
exospheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:17 PM   #54
kyle1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by exospheer View Post
I ripped 3 boxes. Dave Palumbo /25 Ghost Spider Auto. Electra /5. Cards are pretty cool.
Can you break down how many numbered cards you got in 3 boxes and what they were numbered to ?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2024, 04:22 PM   #55
kyle1707

Quote:
4 #'d cards 799 or less. 1 auto or number /50 or less from what Ive seen a box
That’s a huge mistake. But makes more sense

In the interview spidey hits brought up twice and they did not really answer

Thanks for reply
Old 03-13-2024, 04:30 PM   #56
BobCollects

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post

I couldn't listen to more than a few minutes of the host's not great audio quality. The two brand managers from UD had much better audio but I agree their answers were vague at best.
BobCollects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:36 PM   #57
exospheer

feels like Star Wars Galaxy Chrome to me. Cards look great.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:02 PM   #58
LittleJimmies

Quote:
feels like Star Wars Galaxy Chrome to me. Cards look great.
https://www.youtube.com/live/iySeZxW...tZDJV7YDSKmmyi

Just finished watching this and thought the exact same thing, which is a very very good thing. Already trying to figure out what card I must have.
LittleJimmies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 05:07 PM   #59
DynaEtch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjas311 View Post
Tell that to Marvel Masterpieces fans, ha.
In fairness the actual parallels (as in hits, such as colors) max out at /199 with epic purple in MM. True the base go up to /1999, but they arent meant to be hits, more just to serve a purpose in conveying the overall limitedness of the set. Imo it does nothing for value having it out of that huge number, and value would be the same for base if they werent numbered at all (outside the limited tier 4s).

I think that /199 might be around the max that even having it numbered means a big deal, given the marvel card market. It's all relative the size of the hobby and collecting base, and a /500 card during the early 90s sports card junk wax era would be very rare and valued. Anything much over /199...in a market as nonsports niche as marvel cards, not sure if it does much at all. And UD seems to be going in this direction, with /549 oranges in FUA, /489 orange in Fleer Throwbacks, and now a staggering /799 hit. It does make sense from their perspective to be able to jack up the print run while still doing X numbered hits in a box. I just dont think the marvel card market is large enough for it to mean much...to me a SN that high is only interesting for alpha/omega purposes (adding a long-shot chase element).
Old 03-13-2024, 05:38 PM   #60
exospheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJimmies View Post
https://www.youtube.com/live/iySeZxW...tZDJV7YDSKmmyi

Just finished watching this and thought the exact same thing, which is a very very good thing. Already trying to figure out what card I must have.
Kinda awesome to see Dave Palumbo on the video and pulling one of his cards today.

Yeah I am going through all the cards and seeing which ones I want too.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:06 PM   #61
exospheer

Enjoying the signatures/autos in this set. On card is so much better than the Topps autos
Old 03-13-2024, 07:40 PM   #62
kyle1707

Box break.

https://youtu.be/GzF-XLujkCs?si=wuVnFV7lY0_kPzw1
Old 03-13-2024, 07:49 PM   #63
BobCollects

The more I see of this set the more I like it. As a set collector, the huge number of parallels doesn't affect me. It might be fun to try to put together a Blue Surge or Rainbow parallel set. I've never been a fan of sets with Low Series Base and High Series Base and this is no exception. But the cards themselves look great. Not too many insert sets to worry about. Really only the Art Variant insert set looks tough at 1:80 hobby/e-Pack packs. The Cover Variant insert set is big (100 cards) but with one per hobby/e-Pack pack it shouldn't be too tough to put together.

Sadly the price is just too high to try to put together a base set opening boxes.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:53 PM   #64
LittleJimmies

Quote:

Enjoying the signatures/autos in this set. On card is so much better than the Topps autos
That's such an awesome card. The low series artist on-card autos are the highlight of the product.
LittleJimmies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:19 PM   #65
exospheer

Elektra /5
Old 03-13-2024, 09:51 PM   #66
DynaEtch

It only seems right that Ghost Spider was done by Palumbo, considering the superb job he did on the MM20 ghost spider. Great looking auto card.

Glancing at the break video, looks like a fun, shiny, and colorful set with a good mix of hits. The high tech is something that was sorely missing in the recent Fleer Throwback set (which I realize was in keeping it accurate to the era).
Old 03-13-2024, 10:13 PM   #67
One more set

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCollects View Post
The more I see of this set the more I like it. As a set collector, the huge number of parallels doesn't affect me. It might be fun to try to put together a Blue Surge or Rainbow parallel set. I've never been a fan of sets with Low Series Base and High Series Base and this is no exception. But the cards themselves look great. Not too many insert sets to worry about. Really only the Art Variant insert set looks tough at 1:80 hobby/e-Pack packs. The Cover Variant insert set is big (100 cards) but with one per hobby/e-Pack pack it shouldn't be too tough to put together.

Sadly the price is just too high to try to put together a base set opening boxes.
Collecting a variant set of 1-100 with all new original art is perfect here. No rehashed art, shiny like a new penny, can’t go wrong
One more set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:05 AM   #68
exospheer

Artist Variants can be hard to miss. From the pack odds its like 1 a case. The Doom looks really nice.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:25 AM   #69
exospheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJimmies View Post
That's such an awesome card. The low series artist on-card autos are the highlight of the product.
Got a Mike Allred 1/10 Daredevil. Ripped the equivalent of a case right now and going to stop. Overall boxes are solid. There are some crazy duds. When your box hit is Fin Fang Foom, it feels like a bad gut punch.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:23 AM   #70
finfangfan

Looks like a ton of this was printed vs pre-ePack Vibranium which everyone is comparing it to. Dacard shows their boxes being $100 lower than their “suggested price” of $299. I have a hard time imagining Dacard ever sold any preorder boxes to anyone at $299… so the whole “suggested price” is a head scratcher.

Will be interesting to see if ePack has physical base or not. That likely will factor into pack price there. Like the recent Throwbacks, I will pick up some good deals on COMC after the ePack glut hits. I’m not going to go for any rainbows though. Good luck to anyone chasing that!

EDIT: and here is the configuration DA is still showing that appears to be inaccurate based on box breaks.

Pack Breakdown: - [3] original art Base cards (1-100) - [3] classic art Base cards (101-200) - [1] Rainbow parallel - [1] color parallel - [1] Variant Cover - [1] insert or chase card

Box Hits: - [1] autograph or serial numbered parallel - #'d to 50 or less - [4] serial numbered parallels - #'d to 99 or less - [3] inserts - [1] Variant Cover Rainbow parallel - [1] insert Rainbow parallel

Chase Hits: - Base Set - Orange Checkers parallels - #'d to 33 - Golden Treasures Parallels - #'d 1-of-1 - Creator/Artist Autographs - Printing Plates - 1-of-1 Marvel Greats Sketch Cards

Configuration: 10 Packs per Box, 10 Cards per Pack

Last edited by finfangfan; 03-14-2024 at 07:19 AM.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:06 AM   #71
kyle1707

It’s the same base set up as Spider-Man metal

200 cards. It’s way to much .. to many characters

Price tags are high these days

So will be a lot of rough boxes

It’s all about the sketches .. high end artist autos

And base numbered 25 to 1

Vibranium base checklist was to 90 and not a lot of parallels

Might of been a 10th of this made compared to platinum

I think we are in a testing time for UD with marvel right now

They are seeing what the market can and can’t take

All these show products on Dave adams start at 100-120 and they are all dropping to 50-60 bucks. Hawkeye Spider-Man moon knight scarlet witch what if she hulk Thor

Allure started at 300 lol. Now it sits and sits at 120
The 2 ultra products were clunky at best .. did like medallions but that’s about it

Spider-Man and x men metal were over produced but very popular
Masterpieces was amazing but price was ridiculous

I think if you don’t get FOMO. Everything will drop .. besides masterpieces and pmg stuff

I could see this product platinum going to 100-120 bucks a box ?

Because of high print run I don’t see it going crazy like Vibranium.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:22 AM   #72
DynaEtch

I agree a comparison to Vibranium is apples and oranges. Both are chrome, but not much else in common. Vibranium boxes are rare since people werent saving them back then, it also got caught up in the pandemic marvel hype skyrocketing the price of that box. This set is released entirely after that, and will likely have a vastly different print run, and epack.

Im not seeing what the sketch odds are but Im assuming they are extremely long since it's just the 7 marvel legends artists in what Im guessing is a huge print run...so wouldnt even consider that a practical hit.

The bread and butter of this set will be the vast array of colored parallels and artist autos. True, UD may be testing the marvel market with a release like this, and my opinion still is the market cant handle such a glut of parallels in all these new sets for them to hold good value, much less the minor characters in this large 200 card base set. Simply put, the market just isnt the marvel market of 2020-2021 anymore...the Metal sets, while popular, were the start of it with the large number of parallels and huge insert sets, which the market cannot sustain.

But value questions aside, I do like the look of this set. One of my favs is the variant cards (with comic headers) on chrome.....snazzy looking and great combination.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:33 AM   #73
DynaEtch

From ebay-

Old 03-14-2024, 11:22 AM   #74
BobCollects

Default 2024 Upper Deck Marvel Platinum

I’d say this is definitely a test set of sorts, no doubt about it. In the YouTube posted earlier the UD brand managers talked about product tiers. I don’t recall exactly what they said or where they think Marvel Platinum lands in the tiers.

Unrelated to Marvel Platinum: Do we think UD is still recovering from pandemic delays? Does that explain the huge number of Marvel sets coming out in quick succession? Or are we seeing UD’s slow reaction to the insanity and hype of the shutdown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2024, 12:04 PM   #75
IndySportsCards

I like this set.