AD Golden Auction netflix add

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-31-2019, 05:49 AM   #76
pspa123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Collectors should use ridicule as a psychological tool against people who willingly pay 1,000%+ premiums for common cards simply because they're Gem Mint 10's. Over time, that may start to change perceptions a bit.

Think back to when some guy spent $28,100 on a 1952 Musial PSA 10 at PWCC (PSA 9's sell for $2,800 and PSA 8's sell for $800).

It was such an absurd premium that when he was called out on Net54, he joins the discussion by bragging about how smart and rich he is:

A spectacular display of douchebaggery.
A lot of otherwise smart and savvy guys have checked their intelligence at the door when it comes to baseball cards, and memorabilia. Brent is very good at inspiring trust in some people, somehow. This collector at the time talked about how much he trusted Brent and would even review his bids with him in advance. Unfortunate.

Last edited by pspa123; 07-31-2019 at 05:52 AM.
pspa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #77
KhalDrogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto7 View Post
Here comes the.. "these two cards dont look like they are the same card".." birthday party" , "ill only answer if im private messaged" excuses.
Four pages deep and it hasn't happened yet. This is a new record.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #78
superdan49
BODA

I have no problem with rich guys paying stupid money for the best baseball cards.

I do have a problem with scum of the earth dealers defrauding them.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:58 AM   #79
pspa123

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdan49 View Post
I have no problem with rich guys paying stupid money for the best baseball cards.

But so often these two scenarios are one and the same.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:13 AM   #80
JustRachel

Normally I believe every single person needs to be afforded an opportunity to defend themselves in these situations. This time, given the amount of evidence posted here, I only have one question for triplesssinc:

Have you ever had your ass kicked by a girl?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2019, 06:41 AM   #81
Cubsfanp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRachel View Post
Normally I believe every single person needs to be afforded an opportunity to defend themselves in these situations. This time, given the amount of evidence posted here, I only have one question for triplesssinc:

Have you ever had your ass kicked by a girl?

8 post in on this forum (mostly on trimmed threads) and already a threat of violence, eh?
Old 07-31-2019, 06:53 AM   #82
MoreToppsPlease

Quote:

This may not be PC, but...

A big part of the problem has always been sellers taking advantage of stupid people paying stupid money for baseball cards.

It winds up distorting the entire market, and we all literally pay for it with higher costs...and cards that are forever destroyed by greedy, unscrupulous sellers.

There’s a lot of greed and machismo in the hobby that encourages stupid behavior. Stupid prices should not always be met with celebration but with continued healthy skepticism.

We can’t forget that this healthy skepticism has led to the investigation and uncovering of these present scandals.

(Granted, some seemingly stupid transactions are not stupid, but illegitimate for unscrupulous purposes, but that kind of fraud is a separate discussion.)
Old 07-31-2019, 06:56 AM   #83
JustRachel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfanp View Post
8 post in on this forum (mostly on trimmed threads) and already a threat of violence, eh?
Hmmm, you peeked behind the curtain.

It was meant as a joke, lol.

And yeah, the trimmed threads interest me. They're why I decided to sign up, rather than just read BO. I'm a new poster and I'm not nearly as educated as most here seem to be about the hobby in general. That's why I came here.

I couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag.

Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Rachel and I'm mostly an idiot.

In all seriousness though, this thread is important and I'd rather not see it get side-tracked. Shutting up now....

Old 07-31-2019, 07:05 AM   #84
corndog
BODA

Location: From a table in McDonalds, with lovely fake flowers on it.

Great work 312!
Another garbage can upended.
Publicly outing those that choose to defraud others is a necessary endeavor.

When it comes time to pull the trigger on a high end purchase or grade a raw vintage card, the old saying should always be remembered: "If it's too good to be true it probably is".
Old 07-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #85
rcmb3220

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreToppsPlease View Post

A big part of the problem has always been sellers taking advantage of stupid people paying stupid money for baseball cards.

It winds up distorting the entire market, and we all literally pay for it with higher costs...and cards that are forever destroyed by greedy, unscrupulous sellers.

There’s a lot of greed and machismo in the hobby that encourages stupid behavior. Stupid prices should not always be met with celebration but with continued healthy skepticism.

We can’t forget that this healthy skepticism has led to the investigation and uncovering of these present scandals.

(Granted, some seemingly stupid transactions are not stupid, but illegitimate for unscrupulous purposes, but that kind of fraud is a separate discussion.)
I don't expect much to change regarding greed and ego. I think the best that can happen is the bad players get punished and the good guys continue to play whack-a-mole.
rcmb3220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:24 AM   #86
blackbears86

Quote:
Regarding Net54, this member stated what is at stake here more clearly than anyone else to date. Thank you for that, Mr. Sloate.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...&postcount=118

Folks, we have arrived at an inflection point in this hobby. It truly is the concerned collectors versus an array of moneyed interests. These coming months will decide it all.

This can't be overstated. The next few months are crucial to this hobby.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:31 AM   #87
GeechQuest

Quote:
Possibly because making an honest living in the hobby is very difficult?
This cannot be stated enough.

If you are a dealer selling singles, it’s damn near impossible to make a 6 figure living from just buying and selling when card prices peak. For every handful of cards you correctly purchase and flip, you’ll have a dump truck of cards that lost value to offset your gains.

The highest of the high end cards are not plentiful enough that a dealer could legitimately corner the market on them and make a premium reselling without some type of shadiness (conservation or market manipulation). In order to acquire these types of cards (PSA 8+ 52 Mantle) you’d have to bid so absurdly high that you’d be the one paying the premium each time and you’ll never be able to pass a higher premium off to the masses.

Money in most businesses is made in volume, but with cards there just isn’t enough volume out there to make a go at it. So you made $2K buying and flipping a card, but can you acquire the RIGHT card/s at low enough prices that you can flip your product EVERY WEEK OF THE YEAR to turn 6 figures? Not likely without manipulating perception and/or altering and regrading.

The trimming scandal alone is likely a 9 figure fraud, and that’s extrapolating the numbers and EXTREMELY conservative percentages. That’s not even taking into account how much money blatant market manipulation has cost consumers.
GeechQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #88
Treadstone

Question

Another great body of work by BODA!

Has this thread been forwarded to the Feds by those in the know on that?

One last question though: Can you folks find Jimmy Hoffa?
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:09 AM   #89
boston12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
Another great body of work by BODA!

Has this thread been forwarded to the Feds by those in the know on that?

One last question though: Can you folks find Jimmy Hoffa?
I don’t think anyone needs to alert them. They are probably learning more then they ever wanted to know about the hobby on here
boston12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:12 AM   #90
superdan49
BODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston12 View Post
I don’t think anyone needs to alert them. They are probably learning more then they ever wanted to know about the hobby on here

There is no need to alert the FBI about any of these threads. You will just be clogging up agents' inboxes. They are reading along with us.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #91
RickyFace

Quote:

I keep saying.... the sports card market is essentially "Scientology" where the "people at the top", i.e. TPGs, consignment companies and auction houses, are simply duping gullible rich people with a great story. Its a cult-like mentality being exploited by those who are simply crooks. You try to tell them they are being had paying a 1000x premium for a card, and they will give you every excuse as to why they are not. This only stops when enough people realize how deeply they have been tricked.
RickyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:27 AM   #92
MoreToppsPlease

Default Trimmers: Triple sSs Sportscards, triplesssinc, Mike Skerbe, Mark Skerbe, Rich Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmb3220 View Post
I don't expect much to change regarding greed and ego. I think the best that can happen is the bad players get punished and the good guys continue to play whack-a-mole.

I sincerely hope the one if the biggest changes would be the increased scrutiny of transactions.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #93
calculusdork

With each large-scale revelation comes the increased likelihood that this is a ring consisting of trimmers, buyers, and sellers who all are aware of each other's involvement.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:35 AM   #94
MoreToppsPlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyFace View Post
I keep saying.... the sports card market is essentially "Scientology" where the "people at the top", i.e. TPGs, consignment companies and auction houses, are simply duping gullible rich people with a great story. Its a cult-like mentality being exploited by those who are simply crooks. You try to tell them they are being had paying a 1000x premium for a card, and they will give you every excuse as to why they are not. This only stops when enough people realize how deeply they have been tricked.

The hobby behaving like a cult explains a lot.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #95
mattglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
With each large-scale revelation comes the increased likelihood that this is a ring consisting of trimmers, buyers, and sellers who all are aware of each other's involvement.
Which increases the chances that people flip on one another. Not a bad thing.

Creator of ListingAlarm - a tool that is better than eBay's Saved Searches! https://www.listingalarm.com
mattglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #96
mrdallas

Another day another scammer. SMH. This has been said numerous times but this is still the tip of the iceberg I imagine. National starts today, correct?

I wish I had the time. But, wouldn't it be awesome (I am in CA, have 4 kids and have no free time), there were a group of people that had the time and capability to stand outside of the National like a group of protesters, hand out flyers and table numbers of all these scammer and a small pamphlet discerning their part in all of this?

Imagine any of these guys walking by and grabbing a flyer with their name and picture slapped on the front of the pamphlet. I imagine that with go over like a rock, but it would make for some incredible you tube videos. Maybe even some Viral ones.

Good work as always 312.
mrdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:48 AM   #97
MoreToppsPlease

Default Trimmers: Triple sSs Sportscards, triplesssinc, Mike Skerbe, Mark Skerbe, Rich Davis

Quote:

Yes, definitely.

Plus Buyers Club.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #98
pspa123

Quote:

Don't forget the TPGs.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #99
KhalDrogo

Walls are closing in. Good luck to the crooks.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #100
HarryLime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Collectors should use ridicule as a psychological tool against people who willingly pay 1,000%+ premiums for common cards simply because they're Gem Mint 10's. Over time, that may start to change perceptions a bit.

Think back to when some guy spent $28,100 on a 1952 Musial PSA 10 at PWCC (PSA 9's sell for $2,800 and PSA 8's sell for $800).

It was such an absurd premium that when he was called out on Net54, he joins the discussion by bragging about how smart and rich he is:

A spectacular display of douchebaggery.

I will not sit silently by and allow anyone to be ridiculed because of what they collect, how they collect, or how much money they put into their collection. Anyone that believes ridicule can be used to net positive results has serious social problems.

We're not going to make fun of or put down anyone that has become a victim of fraud. No one deserves to be cheated. If you feel that way, then that's a problem you have to work out within yourself.

We can get caught up in the emotions of things at times and say things we haven't properly thought out. I've done it before myself. I hope that that's what this was, just a slip up in the heat of the moment. If there's one thing everyone should take away from all this it's that this hobby is SMALL. You're going to make a name for yourself as long as you stay in it, there's no way around it. You have to decide whether that's going to be a positive or negative reputation.

The internet gives the veneer of anonymity but it isn't anonymous. Be a positive source of energy. We're all going to be stuck in this boat together.

Also, here's an updated floor map with Triple sSs highlighted.

Arthur
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote