Mega Mix

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #1876
gomiamigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
We got rid of the massive loser energy of Doc Rivers who I said was a bad hire on Day 1 and James Harden! Amazing what having a good coach can do.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:11 AM   #1877
daeve

Lively and Williams look like excellent additions thus far, but here's why the Mavs still aren't contenders:

https://streamable.com/r3pcsw

Luka and Kyrie defense on the floor at the same time.
daeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:13 AM   #1878
daeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
Nah they suck lol

ThatÂ’s all great until you adjust for the schedule and see they have a -2.4 net rating. TheyÂ’ve had the 3rd easiest SoS so far.

The Kings without Fox arenÂ’t very good, and the Hornets suck. Oh and the Lakers are just kind of lol
Kings and Lakers should be playoff teams though, and they didn't just beat them, they throttled both. I don't think Houston is making playoff noise yet, but they're not the bottom-feeders of the league any more.
daeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:16 AM   #1879
spurs50fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeve View Post

Lakers are as good as AD and his health. It's his team. Brooks knows that too. My ?-mark is around the Reddish experiment. Averaging under 5 and shooting 30/12 doesn't look good but can he turn it around?
spurs50fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:26 AM   #1880
jcardstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeve View Post
Kings and Lakers should be playoff teams though, and they didn't just beat them, they throttled both. I don't think Houston is making playoff noise yet, but they're not the bottom-feeders of the league any more.
The Lakers were missing their best player. The Kings were missing their (arguable) best player. Those are not playoff teams. If Lakers lost AD for the season they'd be terrible. The Kings wouldn't be terrible but definitely wouldn't be a playoff team.

Fox is the linchpin of that offense, it's really bad without him.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:01 AM   #1881
rustywest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs50fan View Post
Lakers are as good as AD and his health. It's his team. Brooks knows that too. My ?-mark is around the Reddish experiment. Averaging under 5 and shooting 30/12 doesn't look good but can he turn it around?
Except its not. As long as LeBron is a Laker its LeBron James' team. But yes, when AD is out, the Lakers are dogsh*t, soft as sh*t.

LeBron's pulled the wool over so many Laker fans. Pontificating about winning, he cares about preserving his body to play with his sons and extending his point record out of reach. Anything else is just a bonus to him.

Anybody who watches the game knows. He hasn't played D in a couple of years, doesn't box out, doesn't close out, doesn't even contest with a hand in the air. He optimizes for longevity. Sure, he will turn it up in selective games like his amazing game VS the Clippers this year but against some lowly bottom dweller? Forget about it.

To be fair they have some injuries but I reckon the ceiling is 45? Play-making guards will always struggle to co-exist with James

How bout Lonnie though? Scorched the Clippers today
rustywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:06 PM   #1882
spurs50fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywest View Post
Except its not. As long as LeBron is a Laker its LeBron James' team. But yes, when AD is out, the Lakers are dogsh*t, soft as sh*t.

LeBron's pulled the wool over so many Laker fans. Pontificating about winning, he cares about preserving his body to play with his sons and extending his point record out of reach. Anything else is just a bonus to him.

Anybody who watches the game knows. He hasn't played D in a couple of years, doesn't box out, doesn't close out, doesn't even contest with a hand in the air. He optimizes for longevity. Sure, he will turn it up in selective games like his amazing game VS the Clippers this year but against some lowly bottom dweller? Forget about it.

To be fair they have some injuries but I reckon the ceiling is 45? Play-making guards will always struggle to co-exist with James

How bout Lonnie though? Scorched the Clippers today
Loved it!! It was great to see him outscore Kawhi I was wondering how it would turn out in Brooklyn because they have a lot of similar talent but he seems to be having fun. Shooting 52/43 too is nice to see
spurs50fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:35 PM   #1883
GOATcards

realGM thread: KD has built the Nets 2.0 in Phoenix

Quote:
Post#1 » by StudentoftheGm » Sat Nov 4, 2023 6:54 pm

So KD goes to Brooklyn to play with a superstar backcourt player renowned for his scoring ability in Kyrie. He then, apparently, backs the firing of the coach who rebuilt the franchise in Atkinson. KD and co-star also appear to favor an aging center in DeAndre Jordan over young center Jarret Allen, leading to Allen being traded. Finally, Brooklyn facilitates a blockbuster deal to bring in another volume scoring backcourt player in James Harden. The result is a new big three with KD plus two elite backcourt scoring threats. The trio is supported by a long list of veteran journeymen. The team is amazing at offense but has major defensive and rebounding questions. Yuta Watanabe hangs out in the corner.

Then KD goes to Phoenix to play with a superstar backcourt player renowned for his scoring ability in Booker. KD then, apparently, backs the firing of the coach who rebuilt the franchise in Monty. Phoenix then facilitates a blockbuster deal to bring in another volume scoring backcourt player in Bradley Beal. KD and co-stars then seem to favor an aging center in Nurkic over young center Ayton, leading to Ayton being traded. The result is a new big three with KD plus two elite backcourt scoring threats. The trio is supported by a long list of veteran journeymen. The team is amazing at offense but has major defensive and rebounding questions. Yuta Watanabe hangs out in the corner.

Obviously these situations aren’t exactly the same. But it’s a little bit interesting, right?
“Basketball does not build character, it reveals it.”
Jerry West
whatever ninjacookies said one foo's NBA GOAT ranking (top 20-ish): MJ, Mr. Russell, Tim, LeBron, Magic, KareemLarry, WiltShaq, Kobe, HakeemJokicCurry, GiannisKevinKevin, Oscar, Jerry, Karl, MosesDirkDoctorAdmiral
“Those f---ing balloons are staying up there.” -WFR, 5/5/69
GOATcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 01:06 PM   #1884
yiguiri2002

Quote:
The Lakers were missing their best player. The Kings were missing their (arguable) best player. Those are not playoff teams. If Lakers lost AD for the season they'd be terrible. The Kings wouldn't be terrible but definitely wouldn't be a playoff team.

Fox is the linchpin of that offense, it's really bad without him.
This. It's super early in the season and hard to evaluate any team.

But a Lakers team without AD and a Kings team without Fox are lottery teams.
yiguiri2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 01:28 PM   #1885
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATcards View Post
This would be more fun if it was true at any point on the Phoenix end....

"Cavs in 7. Write it down"
JustinVerlander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 01:40 PM   #1886
GOATcards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
This would be more fun if it was true at any point on the Phoenix end....
some off-target points of comparison would be:
(a) '23-24 Beal is probably not up to the level of '20-21 Harden (when Harden was healthy that season)
(b) '23-24 KD himself is not up to the level of '20-21 KD

I do like the moxie of the realGM OP to put such a thesis up for a test in the realGM lion's den

(I tried signing up for realGM but don't seem to find any account confirmation)
whatever ninjacookies said one foo's NBA GOAT ranking (top 20-ish): MJ, Mr. Russell, Tim, LeBron, Magic, KareemLarry, WiltShaq, Kobe, HakeemJokicCurry, GiannisKevinKevin, Oscar, Jerry, Karl, MosesDirkDoctorAdmiral
Old 11-09-2023, 01:51 PM   #1887
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATcards View Post
some off-target points of comparison would be:
(a) '23-24 Beal is probably not up to the level of '20-21 Harden (when Harden was healthy that season)
(b) '23-24 KD himself is not up to the level of '20-21 KD

I do like the moxie of the realGM OP to put such a thesis up for a test in the realGM lion's den

(I tried signing up for realGM but don't seem to find any account confirmation)
Also KD has nothing to do with Ayton nor do we know about Monty (which seems doubtful given there were lots of issues pre KD and KD played under him for 2 months and like 15 games?)

"Cavs in 7. Write it down"
JustinVerlander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:27 PM   #1888
GOATcards

Giannis even turned his head aside to do his intensity-growl, that ref should be suspended a game

I don't know if I can think of anything more ridiculous from a referee in my years of watching basketball, and there's a hell of a lot of competition

also the NBA should institute an in-game review of 2nd technicals if there's any question, the teams could use one of their allotted reviews if necessary. there's no excusing blatant stupidity like this

Last edited by GOATcards; 11-09-2023 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:31 PM   #1889
ninjacookies

Location: All the girls see the (boi)/ Look at his flips / Look at his kards / All they say is (oh boi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
Why is this still a thing? He showed himself last year in the playoffs.

Stripped of his man card in a 1st round bludgeoning, publicly executed on twitter, exiled from Memphis: but hey - poked the rock away from Fossil on a post-up during a pivotal regular season matchup in early November.

#5 world ranked Ledell Eackles superclection as recognized by Tuff Stuff junior managing editor, Barry McCaulkinner.
Somethin' like a cross between Teddy Aguhob and Kaboom Mystery Packs. I got that Givenchy denim flow.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:34 PM   #1890
ninjacookies

Location: All the girls see the (boi)/ Look at his flips / Look at his kards / All they say is (oh boi).

I know zero defense Dame is out...but damn. That should be negated by Indiana's zero team defense.

MIL looking crazy this year.
#5 world ranked Ledell Eackles superclection as recognized by Tuff Stuff junior managing editor, Barry McCaulkinner.
Somethin' like a cross between Teddy Aguhob and Kaboom Mystery Packs. I got that Givenchy denim flow.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:43 PM   #1891
bradjames12

I realize it's only 1 quarter.. but the Pacers just put 38 points up on the Bucks
bradjames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 08:06 PM   #1892
jcardstore

Why the bucks keep running zone when they’re getting torched from 3 is just mind blowing
Old 11-09-2023, 08:34 PM   #1893
Nomad

Quote:
I know zero defense Dame is out...but damn. That should be negated by Indiana's zero team defense.

MIL looking crazy this year.
Indiana has been getting much better at defense, but Jalen Smith out and Nesmith hobbled his ankle and in foul trub. It's gonna be a wild second half.

Pacers one of the fun teams to watch this season.

Last edited by Nomad; 11-09-2023 at 08:40 PM.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 08:42 PM   #1894
tjforce

Giannis playing pissed off tonight.

40 pts and we're only 4 1/2 mins into the 3rd
Old 11-09-2023, 08:46 PM   #1895
ninjacookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Indiana has been getting much better at defense, but Jalen Smith out and Nesmith hobbled his ankle and in foul trub. It's gonna be a wild second half.

Pacers one of the fun teams to watch this season.

They have the 5th worst defensive rating in the league, and have given up 110+ points to opponents in 6 of their first 8 games.

They're very entertaining to watch, but this is the EC iteration of the 2022 Kings. Give up a bunch of points and hope the offense does just enough to put up even more.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:04 PM   #1896
jcardstore

Quote:
They have the 5th worst defensive rating in the league, and have given up 110+ points to opponents in 6 of their first 8 games.

They're very entertaining to watch, but this is the EC iteration of the 2022 Kings. Give up a bunch of points and hope the offense does just enough to put up even more.
Numbers… how do they work?
Old 11-09-2023, 09:06 PM   #1897
ninjacookies

Quote:
Numbers… how do they work?

Yannis gunning for that Wilt selfie tonight.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:06 PM   #1898
Ferg1945

Giannis 16-17 FT

Guess he didn't like getting ejected last night.
Ferg1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:21 PM   #1899
Nomad

Math market may be trending up.

Somehow its still a game.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:32 PM   #1900
tjforce

Middleton down bad these days