Blowout Cards Forums
pokemon Scarlet & Violet Shrouded

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
poppincurbs

Default Framing Your Autographs 101

I did a quick and cheap framing project this weekend, and thought I'd share the process to show how easy and cheap it is to do it yourself. Frame shops can run you $150+ very quickly, I usually frame my stuff for less than $25 total (and I don't have to trust someone else with my autographs!)

First and foremost, and this should go without saying, but signed items should NEVER be pressed up against the glass in a frame. (Over time they can stick to the glass and be ruined if you remove it from the frame.) ALWAYS use a matte! (Also, avoid displaying in direct sunlight, as the autograph will fade over time).

For this particular project, I had a golf program signed by Billy Martin/Yogi Berra/Phil Rizzuto. Neat item itself, but I wanted to frame it and give it the attention it deserves.

Step 1: Identify what you want to frame. Here is what I wanted framed:

Step 2: Have a design in mind. If you are simply framing a signed 8x10, 11x14, or 16x20, this is pretty simple (You're basically just picking a matte color and frame). For this example, I wanted multiple pictures, and multiple pieces within 1 "display". Get creative, this is your piece!

Step 3: Choose and Print your photos. (If necessary. If you are simply framing a signed photo with nothing extra, skip this step). This step is also "fun" to me. I simply use Google Images and find images I like and print them myself at SAMs Club or Wahlgreens. It helps to use Google's "search tools" to search for images greater than 1024x768.

I wasn't 100% sure what size I would need, so I printed 4x6 and 5x7 versions. This cost me a whopping $3:

Step 4: Go to Hobby Lobby and get your custom matte made. Take your items with you to Hobby Lobby, and go to the framing section. Talk to someone in the framing department and tell them what you are wanting to do. They will help you choose the right matte color, and help you decide what size frame you are going to need. They will cut your matte in a matter of minutes (make sure you pick one that is "in stock"). Hobby Lobby ALWAYS has a 40% off one item coupon, you can go to their website on your phone and get to it. With 40% off, this matte will cost less than $10 to make!

I took my program, and photos in, talked with the lady about my design idea, and she had this made in minutes (Seriously they are extremely helpful!):

Step 5: Pick a frame. After getting your matte made, you will know exactly what size frame you need to get. You can get the frame wherever you want. (I actually don't like Hobby Lobby's selection, so I typically go get a frame from Michael's.) Michael's ALWAYS has 40-60% off, so you should be able to get a nice frame for less than $20.

I found this one I liked for $15:

Step 6: Put it together with Acid Free Tape. The only thing necessary in this step is ACID FREE TAPE (Sometimes called "Artist's Tape). Do NOT use regular tape, packaging tape, etc. You can pick up a roll of acid free tape while you are at Hobby Lobby. Being "acid-free" means that the tape will not leave sticky residue and potentially rip/ruin your item if you ever have to remove it from the frame.

Now you've got everything you need. Lay it all out and start putting it together. For one item, this part is super easy. Mine required some cutting so it took a tad longer, but not much. Line up your photo(s) in the open spots and apply some acid-free tape to make sure it stays there. (I probably used too much here, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!)

The last step is to admire your work! Be proud, you just did something yourself, which adds to the story of the piece.

I was stoked when I finished mine, it feels good. Don't waste $150+ at frame shops when you can do it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

The completed project:

Good luck guys, hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask!
Old 10-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
YanksBillsFan

This is awesome info! I've been wanting to get around to doing my own framing, but just haven't had the desire to do it. This type of most is a great motivator.

Nice looking piece there and like the way it was put together. Always appreciate Yanks stuff.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
houstonrules51

Default Framing Your Autographs 101

That's really awesome, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
glassnickels

I had no idea they would just cut the matte for you. That is perfect! Thanks for sharing.
glassnickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Donkaylove

This was a way i got over my fathers death---i made a similar tribute collage with photos, military stuff, etc. ---great presentation!
Donkaylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
hohlernr

Does Michael's not cut mattes like Hobby Lobby?
Old 10-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
poppincurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
Does Michael's not cut mattes like Hobby Lobby?
Not at my store, they send them off to be cut and the one time I inquired about it, they wanted like $75 or something crazy. AND it was going to take 2-3 weeks which is insane!
Old 10-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
bounty37h

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppincurbs View Post
Not at my store, they send them off to be cut and the one time I inquired about it, they wanted like $75 or something crazy. AND it was going to take 2-3 weeks which is insane!
I think it depends on the store, I think the one near me does them in store, but always say they are far behind and takes a few days at least, cant just go in and get one cut.
Love what you did here OP. If people are going to frame a lot of stuff you can even take it one step further and get your own matt cutter and do your own-expensive to start but worth it in the end if doing a lot of framing. A simple single matt is pretty easy and basic, it does get more complicated with double matting and more than a single space cut open but once you get it, it gets easier. I have enjoyed matting my own stuff and doing it for others from time to time.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
buffbills83

Timely post! I have a 16 x 20 autographed photo waiting to be framed and hung in my sports room.

Is there a rule of thumb on how large the matte should be in relation to the photo itself? I have some 11 x 14's as well that I think would look good matted inside an 16 x 20 frame. I'm just not sure on how large the frame should be for a 16 x 20 photo and subsequent matte.

I'm going to give Hobby Lobby a try this weekend (obviously not on Sunday!).

Instagram @buffalo.collector
buffbills83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
poppincurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbills83 View Post
Is there a rule of thumb on how large the matte should be in relation to the photo itself?
Nope, while aesthetically pleasing, the primary purpose of the matte is to keep the autograph off of the glass... So even a 1-inch "border" matte would be fine. It's just up to you, usually the Hobby Lobby worker will suggest the size frame I need and give me options if there are any. This past weekend they basically told me I needed to do a 12x16 or a 16x20 for it to work, and I chose the smaller one to conserve wall space (and blank "matte" space). Make sure to choose a common frame size so that you don't have to order a custom frame!

Here are some more examples of some I have done myself (non baseball sorry):

Old 10-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
njdunkin1

Gorgeous stuff!
njdunkin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
72RangerFan

I'm glad I read this I some 8x10's I was going to frame and had no idea they would stick to the glass. Good info. I can pick up some pre made at Walmart and put them in there I reckon since I don't need to have any special size holes. How do do you mount cards in a frame will the acid free tape damage the card and leave residue to lesson it's value if you cared about that in the long run?
72RangerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #13
poppincurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72RangerFan View Post
I'm glad I read this I some 8x10's I was going to frame and had no idea they would stick to the glass. Good info. I can pick up some pre made at Walmart and put them in there I reckon since I don't need to have any special size holes. How do do you mount cards in a frame will the acid free tape damage the card and leave residue to lesson it's value if you cared about that in the long run?
Yes, you can always snag some of the "pre-made" frames that come with a matte already for a simple frame job. For my 8x10s I usually get this one at Michaels. I think it's $9.99 regular price, but like I said they are either always on sale, or have a 40-60% off coupon, so you can get this frame/matte for like $5 lol.

Here is what it looks like:

As for cards, you can use the acid free tape on them, but I probably wouldn't suggest doing it on a card worth a bunch. If it's a common card, go for it. If it's an expensive card that you just want to frame, I would probably suggest putting it in a toploader and then taping it on... or at least a penny sleeve at minimum so that you aren't directly taping the card itself.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #14
72RangerFan

OK thanks I was considering the penny sleeve idea. Most are just commons I send TTM but I a Le'veon Bell auto relic I got for my boss and I was going to frame it some way. You've given me some great info. Thanks
72RangerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #15
TimBuckTwo

What about UV glass?

Did you use it or are you jut keeping out of light. Won't it still degrade out of direct light?
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #16
lambeauleap87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBuckTwo View Post
What about UV glass?

Did you use it or are you jut keeping out of light. Won't it still degrade out of direct light?
This is an important thing to remember. When you are paying to get it framed and done right, you are paying for that longevity. That $10 frame will do the job just fine...as long as you don't want to display the piece. Pay for museum quality glass on your nice stuff or pay the price in the long run.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
Ryansito1

My cheap frame job cost me $15. You guys like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryansito1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #18
charnick

i do exactly this also, but as an additional step of protection, i often place some cardboard or paper behind the autograph and tape that down instead, so nothing is actually adhering to the item in question. will come in handy someday if i ever need to sell something, it can be removes from the frame with no damage or any effect on the piece at all! great stuff, thanks for sharing!
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:56 AM   #19
poppincurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBuckTwo View Post
What about UV glass?

My "man cave" is the basement, so I have no natural light coming in. A lot of the shadow boxes/frames will be UV, but I don't go out of my way to get them. I've displayed tons of signatures for years with no signs of degrading from light bulbs.

Even if I had a museum quality UV frame, I still would not display it in direct sunlight!