Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction netflix add

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-28-2024, 09:52 PM   #1
hairysasquatch

Default ***Official 2024 Detroit Tigers Thread***

Let's go Motor City Kitties! Excited for a new season!
Old 02-28-2024, 09:56 PM   #2
JustinVerlander07

You never let us down!

Division champs 2024

"Cavs in 7. Write it down"
JustinVerlander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:01 PM   #3
regularp

Hey, a new penny pinching thread. I'm ready for the excuses when the offense is still dog water this season and why it was a good move not to sign or trade for any impact bats.
regularp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:02 PM   #4
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularp View Post
Hey, a new penny pinching thread. I'm ready for the excuses when the offense is still dog water this season and why it was a good move not to sign or trade for any impact bats.
I'm ready for you to hide when you aren't right about a topic again.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:10 AM   #5
base set

Who is “Bigbie” ?
base set is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:55 AM   #6
base set

Also I did do my own homework on one thing at least - I looked it up and discovered that Campos is not one of the non-roster-invites to Lakeland right now. So I guess we can presume that project is over?
Old 02-29-2024, 10:07 AM   #7
bub838

Quote:
Originally Posted by base set View Post
Also I did do my own homework on one thing at least - I looked it up and discovered that Campos is not one of the non-roster-invites to Lakeland right now. So I guess we can presume that project is over?
Wasn't an invitee but he's in camp, he pinch ran in the Toronto game.

Campos is still only 20 years old, so I don't think they've completely given up. He desperately needs to start showing some power, though.

Cristian Santana is kind of the same, he's still only 20 and has amazing OBP considering how poor is BA is...
bub838 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM   #8
regularp

While the Wyatt Langford thing might be a dark cloud over the entire season, Jack Flaherty has looked great in the spring. His fastball is back up to 97 MPH and he has an increased spin rate on all his pitches.

I hope that translates into the season and he's really back because that was one signing I liked.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:40 AM   #9
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularp View Post
While the Wyatt Langford thing might be a dark cloud over the entire season.
LOL

The Tigers season was going to rest on him. Sure kid.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:27 PM   #10
Stifle

Location: I've met great collectors throughout MI and N. Indiana / CHI.

This Tigers team will be fighting for the first pick in next seasons draft. They have zero veteran leadership that has accomplished anything for Detroit. Baez is garbage at the plate, it takes Torkelson 2/3 of the season to figure it out while Greene seemingly breaks down. The Tigers are playing ineptball with their free agent signings. Who will make it to the All Star game, our bat boy ? The 69 Mets at least had a young Nolan Ryan while we are rollin and cryin in futility.
Stifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:37 PM   #11
RaceDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifle View Post
This Tigers team will be fighting for the first pick in next seasons draft. They have zero veteran leadership that has accomplished anything for Detroit. Baez is garbage at the plate, it takes Torkelson 2/3 of the season to figure it out while Greene seemingly breaks down. The Tigers are playing ineptball with their free agent signings. Who will make it to the All Star game, our bat boy ? The 69 Mets at least had a young Nolan Ryan while we are rollin and cryin in futility.
I think they may surprise some, being better than last year. I say this because I think pitching will be their strong suit and they will get a little better offense this year. I think they will be around .500 for the season…they have had much worse teams over recent seasons then this one and the Central division is garbage.
RaceDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:38 PM   #12
calmar

Quote:
I don't get the last part. The 69 Mets had a lot more than Nolan Ryan, plus they won the World Series. How is that some kind of comp, jokingly or otherwise?
calmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:54 PM   #13
Stifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmar View Post
I don't get the last part. The 69 Mets had a lot more than Nolan Ryan, plus they won the World Series. How is that some kind of comp, jokingly or otherwise?
The 69 Mets as far as position players had as many misfits that New York was picking up to fill a roster. Take the time to go over that lineup. The Tigers have pitchers but how many are coming off of Tommy John or will be held in check for some reason or another.

The only way this team is going to win is to be like the Mets of 69, good enough pitching while scraping enough runs across the plate with scrap players. Detroit could have spent money on a 3rd baseman and a DH but chose to go to the Dollar Tree for its lineup.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:54 PM   #14
hairysasquatch

Quote:
The 69 Mets as far as position players had as many misfits that New York was picking up to fill a roster. Take the time to go over that lineup. The Tigers have pitchers but how many are coming off of Tommy John or will be held in check for some reason or another.

The only way this team is going to win is to be like the Mets of 69, good enough pitching while scraping enough runs across the plate with scrap players. Detroit could have spent money on a 3rd baseman and a DH but chose to go to the Dollar Tree for its lineup.
Chris Ilitch is not his Dad. Really too bad that Mike could never spend his way to the ring he so desperately wanted. His son likes the profits, isn't really as concerned with winning. MAYBE the new management will settle in and sort things out but they do need a budget.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:37 PM   #15
JustinVerlander07

Quote:
I'd bet a lot of money on this one being wrong.

Old 03-20-2024, 11:00 PM   #16
base set

I feel like Bill Murray is my weatherman for this year's wade through the AL Central. A couple reclamation Starters - they always seem like a yeah-that-might, this time of year, a couple three cheap veterans, another merry-go-round of Utility linemen who can block decently but will never sniff a Pro Bowl vote, the I-dunno draft picks. I think I might have seen a few movies like this one. But also a few more high ceiling young guys than any other post 2013 year that I can recall. So we gots that going for us.

There's always Next Season, but now it is here. It's a shame the two Central Divisions can't just play themselves all Summer and have a big kegger for everyone the last Saturday in September and say Cya in style and forget all about the East & West teams. It will be fun though.

My first hope this year is that they draft another pile of 3-4 Shortstops in June, starting with their first pick. After that let's enjoy shredding the White Sox in blowouts, beating the Guardians by 2 runs most days, and throwing injury dice with the Twins and Royals to see who has to be the ritualistic October sacrifice. It will be fun though.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:04 PM   #17
base set

Well Kitties kids, I am celebrating Miggy's retirement by assembling my piles of his cards onto binder pages. I made this one this winter, was fun. A nearly Sultan of Swat WAR:Gut ratio on that one card?

Old 03-20-2024, 11:28 PM   #18
Stifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
I'd bet a lot of money on this one being wrong.
Who are the 2 most reliable pitchers ? We have a non hitting Shortstop, a first baseman that takes months to figure it out and this spring hasn’t exactly created confidence, a 4.5 million dollar third baseman that has a blah history, interchanging at DH because the front office knows it’s not a winner therefore throw in the minor leaguers to see if they can hit instead of signing a proven hitter. The CF, Greene has to prove he can be healthy enough to be of value. The rest of the position players put zero fear into the opposing pitching staffs. 70-92.

Now, name the pitcher who will throw the most innings? How long will our pitching phenoms be a star in the making or the next Tiger doing AARP commercials because they spent half their career on the IR? The Tigers should have a medical facility for Tommy John surgeries and somebody in the organization better look into why the Tigers lead the league in that surgery !
Old 03-20-2024, 11:46 PM   #19
regularp

Quote:
Who are the 2 most reliable pitchers ? We have a non hitting Shortstop, a first baseman that takes months to figure it out and this spring hasn’t exactly created confidence, a 4.5 million dollar third baseman that has a blah history, interchanging at DH because the front office knows it’s not a winner therefore throw in the minor leaguers to see if they can hit instead of signing a proven hitter. The CF, Greene has to prove he can be healthy enough to be of value. The rest of the position players put zero fear into the opposing pitching staffs. 70-92.

Now, name the pitcher who will throw the most innings? How long will our pitching phenoms be a star in the making or the next Tiger doing AARP commercials because they spent half their career on the IR? The Tigers should have a medical facility for Tommy John surgeries and somebody in the organization better look into why the Tigers lead the league in that surgery !
Hell must be freezing over because I'm on the same page as Stifle. What a time to be alive.

On a related note, Wyatt Langford hit another HR today.

https://twitter.com/PaulHembo/status...96012052062603

Last edited by regularp; 03-20-2024 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:13 AM   #20
LVDan

Quote:

Jeez man
You’re bitter and jaded it seems
I’m assuming you have other (non mlb) interests in life if not…

Alright Trammell and Whitaker, Jack Morris and don’t forget Aurelio!!
Old 03-21-2024, 07:32 AM   #21
bub838

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
LOL

The Tigers season was going to rest on him. Sure kid.
The season wasn't going to rest on him, but it's going to suck watching him hit 30-40 homeruns while Clark is batting .230 in AA.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:36 AM   #22
bub838

Quote:
I'm not hopeful for this team but even this is the most negative of negative hot takes. They're a .500 team +/- 5 wins. Fighting for a first round pick is just hyperbolic.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:13 AM   #23
btimm

lol What a take, eh?

While I was very frustrated at the time that they took Clark, it was because the AL Central is so bad and I figured Wyatt would contribute much sooner than Clark. They should be trying to compete for the Central right now imo. So given that, I can't see how anyone realistically thinks they are among the worst teams in baseball. They're like a .500ish team.

It is possible they are banking on prospects filling holes this first half. If they do, great, we have a core set. If they don't, but are still winning, they make a deadline trade to fill those holes and make a push. Time will tell, but hope springs eternal.
btimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:18 AM   #24
regularp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub838 View Post
I'm not hopeful for this team but even this is the most negative of negative hot takes. They're a .500 team +/- 5 wins. Fighting for a first round pick is just hyperbolic.
They need a lot of guys to pan out for them to go .500. They made no significant improvements to an offense that was bottom-five in all of MLB. Their run differential last season was that of a 73 win team, not 78.

Their pitching might be awesome but they still need to score and it's based on hope. Hope Carpenter's first few months were the real him and not the final month when he didn't hit a single HR. Hope Tork hits the ground running and doesn't take three months to get going. Hope Greene stays on the field all season and adds some power. Hope Colt Keith makes the club and hits at the MLB level. Hope Jace Jung or Parker Meadows becomes an impact bat.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:51 AM   #25
JustinVerlander07

Quote:

70-92 wouldn't even have them battling for the first overall pick. And Skubal is a budding ace. Skubal, Skubal and more Skubal. Your answeer to all your questions is Skubal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub838 View Post
The season wasn't going to rest on him, but it's going to suck watching him hit 30-40 homeruns while Clark is batting .230 in AA.
When did Clark become a bum and not a consensus top 20-25 prospect? Maybe Langford becomes a superstar and Clark never makes it out of A-ball, or they both are good, or they both suck, but I'd still venture that nobody on this thread has watched either guy and is basing their opinions mainly off about what other people say about them that fits their narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimm View Post
lol What a take, eh?

While I was very frustrated at the time that they took Clark, it was because the AL Central is so bad and I figured Wyatt would contribute much sooner than Clark. They should be trying to compete for the Central right now imo. So given that, I can't see how anyone realistically thinks they are among the worst teams in baseball. They're like a .500ish team.

It is possible they are banking on prospects filling holes this first half. If they do, great, we have a core set. If they don't, but are still winning, they make a deadline trade to fill those holes and make a push. Time will tell, but hope springs eternal.
The Tigers are gonna fight for the Central with Minnesota (because the division is not good!) and I think they're winning it.